Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cadence

One thing that I am really looking forward to is taking long walks with my beautiful bride again.  It should only be about 4 weeks, but when you are used to walking nearly every day together for over 20 years, a month feels like an eternity.


There is an interesting phenomenon that both of us have noticed when we walk. We have an amazing cadence. Without trying, we have the same steps, the same stride, the same pace...even our arms are in synch. We could march in the army we are so in synch! What's even cooler is that when we get out of synch - we don't have to work at getting back into a perfect cadence. It just, happens.


I guess that's what happens when you've been married 20 years. 


I wish I could maintain that kind of cadence in my walk with the Lord (and I've known him for over 40 years!). Try as I might, I get distracted. I'm like a squirrel. Or a lemming. Or an ancient  Israelite. His pace is perfect. His steps are sure. His stride is just right. I'm all over the place. Sometimes nice and in synch, frequently too fast or too slow. And sometimes, I just don't feel like a walk. Reality hurts.  When we do walk in cadence with Him, its an awesome experience. Not too fast - Not too slow. Just right. How sweet it is. Or can be. Should be.


Today I feel like I am trudging through quicksand. 4 hours of sleep probably doesn't help.  The news this morning that there is cancer in the lymph nodes hit me harder than I thought it would; or maybe harder than it should have.  Its not that I am fearful for full recovery. Its just that I really don't want Julie to have to go through all the post-op garbage that comes with it. Its taking us off our cadence.  I don't like not being in cadence with her.  I don't like it at all.


Julie is beginning to recover well.  I am writing this from her hospital room. She is very sore but resting comfortably (or it could be that she is in a drug induced stupor that prevents her from experiencing reality and it just looks like she is comfortable). Every day will be progress. Every day she will get stronger and feel better.


I think there is a new cadence that God is asking us to walk in.  With Him and with each other. A slower, more introspective cadence. At least in this short season. 


A very special thank you to everyone around the globe who is praying for her. We have felt your prayers and the Lord is honored. Thank you to those who spent time with me today in the hospital - I am grateful and humbled. You have truly blessed our whole family.


Perhaps some sleep. Soon. Before long, nice long walks.



3 comments:

  1. Steve...thank yo so much for taking the time to keep us informed and share so intimately...It is a bonding, healing experience and helps so much for prayer. Trusting God with you and for you and Julie...May His peace be with you 24/7 and may you hear him in undeniable and glorious ways as he walks with you through every step of this process. Praying for healing to be accelerated and for no unnecessary things to occur and for the best of everything in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    May the power, peace and love of our Lord be with you and Julie. The team is praying for her healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. As I read, the thing that came to mind is maybe God is creating a new cadence...then you said it. Truth is...sometimes we are given to a NEW NORMAL. I find myself in the middle of that very thing. I've fought it many times, but the truth is there is much to be gained from a new normal. A new cadence. Different isn't bad. It's just different. ~ Cristina Wright

    ReplyDelete