Thursday, July 28, 2011

Miss Princess High and Mighty

This is a post from Julie....



Wow - this sitting up talent of mine is going right to my head.  When I was always laying down and on heavy pain killers, things just didn't bother me.  Now that I am the princess sitting in my chair and my head is much more clear -I see every little thing out of place.  

Let me give a little background...  I found out about the cancer diagnosis while we were in Maui.  So, I did what just came naturally - I ignored it.  Not totally, but I was determined to not let a little tumor ruin my long awaited vacation in paradise.  I prayed while I was alone and walking on the beach, and I played hard while we were all together.  Perfect balance.  Then we had to fly home and meet with scary sounding people like oncologists and breast surgeons and radiologists.  So much for balance.    What came naturally during all of those appointments was to control things at home.  I can't control this pesky tumor, but I can make sure that every little thing was in place in my home.  Vacuumed, dusted, organized, and labeled.  I even got my dog groomed and my bangs trimmed and my nails done.  It seemed to make sense that when I can't control the big things, I'll focus on controlling the little things.

Back to miss princess high and mighty sitting in her chair. You know where this is going, don't you?  My perfectly organized house is not eligible for a photo spread in Better Homes and Gardens anymore. My dog is shedding and has bad breath, and my children have lost most of the semblance of tolerance they had for each other.  Don't even get me started on the laundry.  (it's mostly clean, but not put away)  I am so grateful for all of the extra work that my family and friends have done willingly.  So, why does the gigantic bottle of hand sanitizer sitting in the middle of the coffee table drive me crazy?  And does anyone know how to change a toilet paper roll?? And the pillows, Lord help me with the pillows that are sitting there with clean pillow cases next to them.  Next to them, not on them.  Jesus, please give me patience and a quiet mouth until I am strong enough to not notice the zillion things that are laying around and give a grateful heart that I am sitting up in my princess chair and able to notice these things.  Balance will be restored - one of these days.  I am willing to bet that that there is a new definition of balance when this is all over.  And that's probably a good thing :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment