Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Its Not Easy Being Green

Kermit the frog lamented that its "not easy being green."

After yesterday's escapades, I've determined that "its not easy being a woman". Especially for a man, who wasn't designed to be sensitive to all these "female" things.

Yesterday was a much better day for Julie (mostly, see snafu list below). She went and got her hair washed (it was getting pretty yucky after a week), and actually got about 4 inches taken off - its just easier to manage shorter hair.  We also made it to the chiropractor's office and were so blessed and helped.  Hopefully the adjustments will continue to help the neck and back pain.

Try as I might, I can't quite get the finer art of female activities correct.  A quick snapshot of some of my snafus:
  • Getting Julie ready to go to the Dr.'s office, Steve notices lots of little hairs on Julie's shirt (from her recent haircut of course). Steve thinks: she won't want all those hairs on her shirt, especially on the front, on her chest, so...I'll just brush em off like I do when I have something on my chest.  Yeah.  Not so good idea - even without recent mastectomy surgery. 
  • Getting Julie ready to leave for Dr. visit. Julie wants to "freshen up" (A concept totally lost on men.  Freshen up for men is soaking your head under the sink or the hose). Julie puts on "nice, smelly stuff". Help Julie put jacket on.  Drink in aroma from "smelly stuff". Ask Julie: "Why did you put on bug spray?"
  • Getting Julie out of the car at the Dr.'s office.  Its raining (thank the Lord). Dutiful husband exits car, grabs umbrella, runs to side of car where wife is patiently waiting. Opens umbrella. Opens door. Holds umbrella to avoid wife getting wet from downpour. Tries to help recuperating wife out of car. Loses grip on car door. Car door whacks said wife in shoulder. Steps on wife's toe trying to get door out of way. Loser!
I suppose I could go on, but you get the picture. 

I got a few hours of "work work" (not house work) in, which felt good. We had a great dinner provided by another angel. Unfortunately, we had a tough night last night. We tried to give Julie a new pain medicine that would allow her (OK, and me) to, hopefully, sleep through the night. Nasty stuff. Effective but nasty. Julie had an allergic reaction - she developed a rash at around midnight, that she told me about at 1:00.  So I called one doctor, no reply. Called the pharmacist, got an "OK" answer and gave her some benadryl. Back to sleep.

We are leaving in about 15 minutes for the plastic surgeon, hopefully we will get the drains taken out, or at least get some of them taken out (there are 4). 

Please continue to pray for pathology report - we meet on the 1st with the oncologist - we want no cancer in any more lymph nodes, nor anywhere else in the body!  

Looking forward to some male activities soon :-)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can sooo relate. I think I have more snafus these days, and it only seems to be increasing with time. You would think we learn over time, and they diminish ... another one of those conundrums I want to ask God about ...

    So encouraged Julie is doing better - slow as it might be. We will continue to pray that the pain lessens each day, and that you improve in your nursing skills. You are a champ my friend.

    If you want to get out and do something like pull a V-8 out of a truck, or maybe some Mixed Martial Arts, just let me know.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee! Thanks for sharing your gufaws, which makes us all feel better. I know Julie appreciates your help. You're a tremendous blessing to your family.

    ReplyDelete