Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Progress

I've never run a marathon.  I've never watched anyone run a marathon.


I ran track in high school. Actually, I was in track and field. Mostly field. High jump, long jump, triple jump. And 50 and 100 yard dash and 4x100 yard relay. You get the picture - not a long distance guy. I think the longest I ever ran in practice was a mile.

Today,  I'd rather chew nails than run a mile. I'll hike 20 miles.  Walk 100. But run? Ugh. I've heard the way to train for a marathon is not to start by running 26 miles. Start with a mile, get to 5, then 10, etc.  Progress seems slow.  I'll bet if you can hardly run a mile, 26 might as well be a million miles.

I sense that Julie feels like she has been stuck at the 1 mile mark for a while.  Today, I think she made it to 2 miles.  She sat up for several hours, took a short walk around the house. Went to get her hair washed. Did some stairs - great progress!

Yesterday we went to the plastic surgeon.  We were hoping that the drains would be removed.  Remember as long as the drains are in, no showering. No showering = bad.  Good news, he was able to remove 2 drains, but the other two are still producing a lot of fluid, so they were left in.  We did a sponge bath instead. And figured out a way for her to shave her legs without me having to slash them to pieces.

A specific prayer request is that she will be able to have the other two drains removed as soon as possible.  At the current rate, it could be another week. She's so anxious to have a long shower.  Its amazing how the simple things in life can be so meaningful.

Julie and I are so humbled and grateful for the amazing outpouring of love, and prayer and help.  We have been blessed by so many people. Meals, rides, yard work, thoughts, prayer. Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.

We are anxious about our meetings next week with the oncologist, genetic tester, breast surgeon, and plastic surgeon.  All on Monday and Tuesday. We are giving it all over to the Lord. He's in control, so we don't have to be.  We'd appreciate prayers to keep that truth in the forefront of our hearts and minds.

1 comment:

  1. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
    ...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
    ---
    SMM1

    ReplyDelete