Sunday, July 10, 2011

Perspective

There's something about perspective. One thing this journey has provided is perspective. 


Just after we found out about the cancer diagnosis, I remember looking at the ocean while walking on the beach in Maui, and appreciating each wave that kissed the shore as if it might be the last one. I loved the feel of sand underneath my feet.  The smell of the ocean, the warmth of the sun, the sound and feeling of waves washing over my feet. For whatever reason each of these things seemed more real.  More intense.  More alive. 


Since then, almost everything I do seems to take on more significance, have more meaning, be more "intense" (in a good way). I appreciate the soft touch of Julie's hand. I love the smell of the lotion she uses.  Her eyes are greener than I remember them being. Her laugh is like music to my ears. 


What is it about life that we sometimes need a tragic event, or difficult news to make us appreciate something more?  Make us look at it differently? I have no regrets, but if I could change one thing about the past, its that I would have had a greater appreciation for the simple things in life along the way. One tiny piece of advice?  Don't wait for the event or the bad news. Live life to the full, hand in hand with the Lord, today.  And tomorrow. And the next day.


Today I spent nearly 3 hours doing yard work.  Long overdue yard work.  I pulled weeds (lots and lots of weeds), trimmed bushes, cut the 1 ft-high lawn. Speaking of which, Adam and I are going to have a little chat when I get to heaven about the whole weed thing.  


I hate weeds.  Hate 'em.  They grow even when they have no soil, no rain and no care. The slightest bit of nurturing feeds them and makes them grow fast. Why can't I get the flowers to do that?  I began to think about how invasive they are...kinda like sin.  Sin "so easily ensnares us".  It seems to grow even when it only has the slightest bit of attention, yet growing a beautiful flower takes good soil, lots of water and lots of nurturing care.  Ahh life.


We spent a few hours today pouring over the information packets given to us by  a myriad of doctors.  The oncologist's office gave us a 3-ring binder (2 inches thick) that is filling up fast with information. We ate a fantastic dinner made by a dear friend tonight (and enjoyed one yesterday from an awesome CSK team member!)


Tomorrow is the pre-op meeting with the breast surgeon.  And the week is going to be a very busy one.  We'd sure appreciate prayer for priorities - that we would be able to make good decisions on what is the most important, and not stress about the rest.


Thank you again for your prayers, your provision (food!) and your friendship and love.  


Blessings







No comments:

Post a Comment