Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Lesson From Dogs

Dogs crack me up. 

They have so much energy and every day is the Best Day Ever!   They are generally low maintenance, extremely loyal and love just hanging out with people. (Primarily their owners, but contrary to what Julie thinks, I think its anyone who will feed them and give them a good 'ol belly scratch now and then).

I love to watch them and see how they respond to things around them. To people. To situations.  There is an innate curiosity and ability to be happy and joyful with the smallest of things. Sleep - Yes! Dinner - Yes!  A walk - Yes!  A kind look - Yes! Mud - Yes!

I love the book (and series) Hank The Cow Dog. Its one of the few books where I literally laugh out loud when reading it. Its life from a dog's perspective.  In this case, Hank, the guardian of the chicken and cattle ranch. It chronicles his ups and downs, his daily emotions.  Hank decides he's fed up and runs off to hang out with the coyotes, but of course, his loyalty gets the best of him and he returns to save the chickens from a master-planned attack from the coyote clan.

On our walk this morning I began thinking about how we often live our lives wishing we doing something else rather than enjoying what we are doing now.  Waiting for the next thing. The next "phase" of life.  The next job. The next house. Hoping for the future.  

I have taken this to an extreme sometimes. Since I was little, I have always wanted to be older than I am, have more experience, be taller. I have also had a "heaven perspective" - a sense that this world, this life, is just a glimpse of the future - that its preparation for the future. I have deep hunger for the ultimate future in heaven.

The apostle Paul talks about this in very candid terms.  Taking the liberty of a huge paraphrase, he basically says:  I'm going to die?  Thats cool.  I get to go to heaven.  I get to live? That's cool - I have lots to do on this earth. Gotta love that attitude.

Cancer is a nasty disease. For the first time in my life, I wish I could freeze time. I wish I could slow the future coming.  Julie is not looking forward to the next 6 months.  Neither am I. But, we get to go through it together, and like a dog, we have to find a way to find joy in the little things every day along the way. The only way we know how to do that is to live in the grace of the Lord.  A prayer from my sister Lori has had a huge impact on our lives...Its a simple one, but profound:

Lord, I ask for and receive your grace today. 

And I have added the following addendum to that simple prayer: ...and I pray that I may share that grace with others.

...and back to the dog theme, ever notice how quick they are to forgive? Yeah...thats a topic for another day.

May we all live in the joy of the moment and walk in His grace today

1 comment:

  1. Keeping dogs near will also help in the healing! Jake will be a benefit on the journey.

    ReplyDelete